ABOUT ONE PLANET CITY: PUBLIC SUBMISSIONS
Brighton & Hove was accredited as the world’s first One Planet City in 2013.
Thank you to everyone who entered the One Planet City photography competition. The competition is now closed.
We had a fantastic event on Saturday 13 June to announce to winners of the competition! You can see the winning entries here:
One Planet City Competition Winners
As part of the One Planet City photography commissions residents of Brighton and Hove or anyone with a BN postcode in the surrounding areas are invited to submit their sustainability photographs of the city to the FotoDocument/ One Planet City photography competition.
The submissions will be judged by a panel of industry professionals who will select the best entries within each of the ten One Planet Living categories. Judges include: Nina Emett (Director, FotoDocument), Mariama Attah (Photoworks), Anthony Probert (Bioregional), Simon Roberts (Photographer), Melanie Friend (Photographer) and Murray Ballard (Photographer).
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 5pm ON SUNDAY 7 JUNE 2015.
What to photograph?
1. Choose from one or more of the ten One Planet Living principles. You can read more about the principles at: www.bioregional.com/oneplanetliving
2. Create a photograph that reflects the people, landscape and character of Brighton and Hove. Look at the work submitted by the ten commissioned photographers at the ten exhibition sites for inspiration, or visit www.fotodocument.org/oneplanetcity for more information.
3. Submit your photograph/s to as many of the different categories as you wish but please only submit ONE photograph per category.
4. Please only submit photographs taken in and around Brighton and Hove. Only submissions taken within the following boundaries will be accepted:
No further NORTH than Hassocks
No further EAST than Beachy Head
No further WEST than Shoreham-by-Sea
NB: Where possible please only submit new photographs taken in response to the ten One Planet City themes. If you do have a photograph you have previously taken that you want to submit please make sure it was taken within the last 18 months (after September 2013).
How to submit?
1. Make sure your photograph is saved as a JPEG and is no larger than 8MB in size, please also ensure the longest edge does not exceed 1200px in length.
2. Follow this link.
3. Enter your name (how you would like it to appear on the website alongside your photograph).
4. Enter your email address (this will not be made public, and will not be passed on to any third parties).
5. Choose from the drop down list of One Planet Living categories.
6. Enter the caption, this can be the location of the photograph or a description (e.g People cycling along Brighton seafront).
7. Choose your photograph and click ‘Upload File’.
8. To upload multiple images, the screen will refresh – you won’t need to enter your personal details again, just the submission details. Please remember only ONE photograph is to be submitted per category.
NB: Submissions will not be published immediately as they will need to be moderated.
Alternatively you can email your photographs, captions and which category you are entering to: email@example.com
When taking photographs please do not endanger yourself or others, take unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.
Terms and Conditions
Download the FotoDocument Terms and Conditions here.
Prizes will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place within each of the ten categories.
1st place – Signed Photobooks including:
Simon Roberts, Pierdom
Melanie Friend, The Home Front
Lisa Barnard, Hyenas of the Battlefield, Machines in the Garden
Sam Faulkner, Unseen Waterloo
Jason Larkin, Tales From The City Of Gold
Syd Shelton, A Riot of One’s Own
Niall McDiarmid, Crossing Paths
Glen Erler, Family Tree
Jon Tonks, Empire
Vanessa Winship, Sweet Nothings: School Girls of Eastern Anatolia
Clare Strand, Skirts
Nick Waplington, Working Process
2nd place – Brighton Experiences including:
Sushi Making course for two at Moshimo, Brighton
One year membership to Charleston House, Lewes
Off-peak group travel (up to 4 adults) anywhere on the Southern Rail route
Voucher to spend at Infinity Foods Retail, Brighton
Voucher for one hour massage with Jane Newman (at Brighton Health and Wellbeing Centre)
Voucher for lunch at Silo, Brighton
Choose from one of three great prizes kindly donated by The Wood Store, Brighton
2x tickets to see the Snow Queen at Brighton Dome on the 2nd of January 2016
Family ticket for a Royal London One Day Cup group match at Sussex County Cricket Ground
£60 to spend at any of the Ginger restaurants in Brighton & Hove (Mon-Thu only)
Don’t forget the deadline for submissions is now 5pm on Sunday 7 June 2015.
All the submitted work will be showcased at a free event on Saturday 13 June, 1-5pm, at Jubilee Library. We also announce the winners of all the categories at this event and present the prizes. Three of the professionally commissioned photographers will speak at the event and there will also be workshops on photography and the environment to take part in.
To book your free place at this event, please go to: